BLUE DIAMOND DISTRIBUTING, LP
JOB TITLE: CONTROLLER
Location: Dallas TX
Status: Full-time; Exempt
Reports To: CEO
ABOUT BLUE DIAMOND DISTRIBUTING, LP
Blue Diamond Distributing, LP and Blue Diamond Stores, LLC are forming entities that will be engaged in the wholesale distribution of petroleum products through the ownership and operation of convenience stores. The company is headquartered in Dallas TX with store operations in East Texas. Blue Diamond will be aggressively engaged in the acquisition of c-stores, and as a result, we are looking for outstanding individuals to join our leadership team.
The Controller is the finance leader for Blue Diamond Distributing, LP and related companies. This role is responsible for all accounting, financial analysis, management and financial reporting, budgeting as well as the administration of financial systems. The Controller will report to directly to the CEO and will be a critical part of the leadership team. Specific functions include the following:
ACCOUNTING & FINANCE
- Accurately, efficiently managing all the accounting functions for the entities, including all partnerships and corporate entities.
- Maintain store-level P&Ls to aid in making store-level profitability, inventory management and buy/sell, decisions.
- Manage the accounts payable function ensuring that all invoices are paid timely and available discounts to the company are taken.
- In conjunction with the executive leadership team, establish an annual financial budget and strategic budget. Maintain a 5-year strategic growth plan, adjusted semi-annually with targeted store acquisitions.
- Perform the analysis and recommendations for capital projects including store renovations and modification, store acquisitions and corporate systems or other capital needed.
- Provide the executive leadership team with monthly B v E variance analysis and forecasts
- Timely prepare monthly, quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements including income, balance sheet, statement of cash flows and supplemental schedules for the corporate/partnership entities to be presented to executive leadership, investors, & lenders.
- Prepare monthly sales tax and other reports required by state regulatory agencies Prepare annual financial statement package
- Prepare/oversee the preparation of the annual tax returns and related investor tax requirements.
- Timely prepare quarterly employer tax returns
- Prepare other analytics and reports as may be requested by the CEO, investors or lenders
- Provide operations report including inventory reports to operations staff to assist in the financial management of
The Controller will oversee all treasury function including:
- Manage and ensure the protection of the daily cash receipts and deposits from sales.
- Maintain banking relations and coordinate daily sweeps of cash to consolidate cash receipts from store operations
- Manage, track or otherwise account for non-cash sales, i.e. debit or credit card sales, and the related merchant banking fees to ensure the company receives full credit from oil companies and others for sales.
- Actively and accurately forecast cash receipts
- Manage the use of the working capital lines of credit the company maintains with various lenders
- Manage timely payment of debt and ensure compliance with debt covenants
- Manage the relationships with financial institutions including making recommendations to the CEO and equity investors
regarding adding or changing lenders.
- In conjunctions with the senior leadership team and software vendor(s), oversee the selection, setup, implementation and
management of an ERP system.
- In conjunction with the senior operating staff, the CEO and software vendor(s) oversee the setup of the store-level POS and its integration into the ERP system.
- Ensure information systems readiness, security, both at the corporate office and at the store level.
- Recruit, hire and train staff to support the financial operations of the company, supporting the Controller function.
- Mentor the accounting/finance staff, grooming them for promotion within the company and or another personal/career growth.
- Periodically provide performance feedback, including at least annually, individualized written performance targets and
performance results for each staff member for whom the Controller has responsibility.
- Work with Operations leadership to provide timely inventory reporting to minimize shrinkage at the store level.
- Actively participate in corporate initiatives that enhance the communities in which the Blue Diamond Companies operate. Make recommendations to the senior leadership team and actively participate in the implementation of community/market initiatives so the Blue Diamond Companies positively impact the communities we serve.
- Oversee/manage the analysis required for the acquisition and or disposition of store assets.
- Other tasks and projects as may be assigned by the CEO or dictated by organizational needs.
- Must always display leadership qualities.
- Support audits that might be required by lenders and or investors.
- Some travel will be required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting; Master’s Degree, preferred
- CPA or CMA or other accounting/finance professional license, highly preferred
- 5-7 years of multi-unit, retail accounting experience, in a senior leadership role
- 2-3 years of managing others in an accounting/finance role
- 2-3 years of experience reporting to senior-level executives
- 2-3 years of experience with intercompany accounting, consolidating financial statements, and partnership accounting required.
- General merchandise store, convenience store or gasoline/fuel management highly preferred; not required
- Experience with implementation and management of a cloud-based ERP system
- Startup experience preferred but not required
- Must be promotable to CFO or higher-level position within the company.
- Working knowledge of common financial systems and processes.
- Proficient in operating a personal computer and common software applications such as MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, and Excel.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, verbal communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Self-starter who works independently and is highly self-motivated; goal-oriented.
- Honest, ethical, dependable, attentive listener; understanding, empathetic, and personable.
- A proven leader with strong interpersonal skills, keen to motivate and effectively educate and connect company management and leadership regarding all finance matters.
- Exhibits tenacity meeting goals and determining solutions to meet business challenges, anticipates and solve problems in a calm and methodical manner.
- Focuses on high priority projects to company goals and objectives.
- Strategic thinker; able to anticipate long term impact of emerging trends.
- Proficient group presentation/facilitations skills.
- Ability to think strategically and translate strategies into actionable plans and get results.
- Proficient negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Possess project management, complex problem-solving, process skills, and the ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously and effectively.
How to Apply
To apply for the Controller role, email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Include the
Job Description – Blue Diamond in the subject line. In your cover letter or email include your salary expectations.
Blue Diamond Distributing, LP provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.